• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassment? Bullying?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheChanger

What is the name of your state? IL

I have been with my present company for over 4 years. In that 4 years I have never received a written reprimand from any of several managers or supervisors. I have within the past year gotten a new supervisor, and have since been written up for things I did not agree with. I challenged the disciplinary action to no avail. I also spoke with Human Resources and my Manager and told them of the feeling that this supervisor had some sort of personal problem with me. They won't listen.

I worked through my write-up, which was admonished in late March, and today I have a meeting in which I feel I will be getting written up again. I did not agree with why I got written up the first time,and have no clue as to why I will be getting this write-up until the meeting.

I feel this person is trying to drive me out of the company. As I continue to get into trouble my peers are breaking company policy left and right in regards to language and profanity, sexual discussions and everything else without getting into trouble. I do not get involved in these conversations.

The supervisor in question continually tells me that "others in your group have questioned what you do here" or explains they have accused me of things which he questions me about. In return, if I mention something someone else is doing I get the line "worry about yourself, not anyone else".

Please help! What do I need to do to prove this is personal?!?!

TheChanger

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The problem is that even if you can prove beyond the shadow of any possible doubt that it is personal, that's not against the law. It is not illegal to single out an employee for write-ups or even termination on the basis of the fact that the boss dislikes them.

TheChanger

You have to be kidding.....

It isnt illegal to do that? Doesn't that fall under some sort of wrongful termination or discrimination??

pattytx

No kidding involved. She's absolutely right. There are strict legal definitions for "wrongful termination" and "discrimination" and just because it is "personal" does not make it illegal. I don't see that you have any legal recourse here.

Beth3

It isnt illegal to do that? It may be terribly unfair but it's not illegal.

Doesn't that fall under some sort of wrongful termination or discrimination?? No. Most situations that are unfair are completely legal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, I"m not kidding in the slightest.

It is ONLY wrongful termination if there is a specific law that forbids an employer from terming the employee for the specific reason that they are doing so. There are two forms of wrongful term; violations of public policy and violations of Title VII. A public policy violation means that you are being termed BECAUSE you applied for or used a right or benefit that is protected under the law. A Title VII violation means you were termed BECAUSE of your race, religion, national origin or other characteristic that is protected by law. NO Federal law and NO law in any state except Montana prohibits an employer from firing an employee because they do not like them.

It is ONLY illegal discrimination if it is BECAUSE OF your protected characteristic under either Title VII or a related state law. Again, race, religion, national origin etc.

This is simply not illegal on the basis of the information you have provided.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">