• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harrassment in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bugsbuni

An ex-close friend of mine at work is harrassing me. She has turned several managers against me as well as several co-workers. She is constantly gossiping about me. Yesterday, she was talking on the phone with another manager in the building and was attempting to send him email at the same time, but accidentally sent it to me. It stated, among other things, that I made an "ungodly" amount of money, on top of just getting another raise. Granted, she did not put any dollar amounts in the email, but I still feel this is a breach of confidentiallity, as my salary is not her business and I have NEVER divulged my wages with her or anyone else. She is constantly making sexual innuendos with our supervisor right in front of me which I find offensive. She also attempts to make me look stupid and foolish in front of him. She is rude and hateful to me. I spoke with my senior manager about this yesterday and he stated that since she didn't put any dollar amounts in the email that there was nothing he could do. I told him that I am uncomfortable around her (we both share a small 10x10 office). I dread going to work, and I have been with this company for over 9 years now, and she has only been there for 1 1/2 years. What are my options? I am terrified to go over the senior manager's head because I am afraid I will be retaliated against, even though it is against company policy. I am up for a huge promotion and I am afraid that if I pursue this any further, I will be discriminated against in regards to the promotion. She is exhibiting un-ethical behavior and it makes me EXTREMELY uncomfortable. What can I do? :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bugsbuni:
An ex-close friend of mine at work is harrassing me. She has turned several managers against me as well as several co-workers. She is constantly gossiping about me. Yesterday, she was talking on the phone with another manager in the building and was attempting to send him email at the same time, but accidentally sent it to me. It stated, among other things, that I made an "ungodly" amount of money, on top of just getting another raise. Granted, she did not put any dollar amounts in the email, but I still feel this is a breach of confidentiallity, as my salary is not her business and I have NEVER divulged my wages with her or anyone else. She is constantly making sexual innuendos with our supervisor right in front of me which I find offensive. She also attempts to make me look stupid and foolish in front of him. She is rude and hateful to me. I spoke with my senior manager about this yesterday and he stated that since she didn't put any dollar amounts in the email that there was nothing he could do. I told him that I am uncomfortable around her (we both share a small 10x10 office). I dread going to work, and I have been with this company for over 9 years now, and she has only been there for 1 1/2 years. What are my options? I am terrified to go over the senior manager's head because I am afraid I will be retaliated against, even though it is against company policy. I am up for a huge promotion and I am afraid that if I pursue this any further, I will be discriminated against in regards to the promotion. She is exhibiting un-ethical behavior and it makes me EXTREMELY uncomfortable. What can I do? :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Look on your company's bulletin board. There, you should find a posting concerning laws in the workplace. In those laws are directions for filing a complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunities Commission). With that, you can get relief, albeit it will take awhile. However, in the meantime, and while an investigation takes place, it will make your employer and the employee take notice and curtail the problems, at least for the short term. I would suggest though, that you obtain the assistance of an attorney to do this, and you may be able to expedite obtaining your "Right to Sue" letter from the EEOC. Then you'll be able to go after the company and the supervisor. Recent case law says that you can no longer go after an individual employee, however. It may, though, just hasten her, how should I say it, "removal."

Good luck to you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">