• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassment, Verbal Abuse & Unlawful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bljbdary

I worked for a major pharmacy for two years. In the two years of my employment, they have had 3 store managers. Upon the arrival of the most recent manager, many of us were shocked by his attitude, verbally abusive language and total lack of humanity and consideration for employees. We were constantly cussed out, called improper names and hollared at by this man. I and 4 other employees made phone calls to the corporate office and the "confidential" employees relations department. Nothing has ever been done. During on of my shifts, I received a call that my son was extremely ill and that he needed medical attention. I asked permission from the pharmacy manager to leave and he said that I should go and take care of my son. I was in such a panic, that I forgot to clock out. I have never ever been written up, scolded or fired from any job I have ever had. This manager used this medical emergency against me even though I had documentation from my son's doctor. He refused to even look at it. All of the information that I (we) reported to the corporate office and employee relations line was not at all confidential and the manager made sure that I knew he was informed of how many times I made complaints and calls. To me this is a huge injustice to me and my family. The manager cut my benefits off within 2 days of my termination without the opportunity for "cobra" benefits. I have been harrassed, cussed at hollared at, and totally humiliated by this man and this large, major company refuses to hear or act on the pleas of the employees. I sent them a 6 page certified letter requesting any and all documentation during my employment including all the information leading up to my suspension and termination from this company. I have never received anything in return. All of my rights have been violated and I thought that the company was more caring and reputable with their employees. They have never even sent anyone to investigate all the accusations they have received. My questons: Do I have any legal recourse against all of the above and how do I go about it. I have looked locally for an attorney but can't seem to find one that will give me a free consultation so that I can provide all the information necessary to understand this. I live in Louisiana and am having a really hard time understanding why nothing has been done. Any information is appreciated.

B

buddy2bear

Your first step if you believe something is wrong is to call the EEOC and/or your State's Human Rights Department. If they believe something is wrong, they will tell you to file a charge which they will investigate.

After they investigate, they will issue you a Right to Sue letter -- if it states "Probable Cause," then you find an attorney -- which will not be a problem. If it says "No Probable Cause," then finding an attorney will be a problem and you might as well drop it and get on with your life.

COBRA benefits do not have to be offered if you are terminated for cause. No doubt you were probably terminated for absenteeism, poor performance, insubordination, and whatever else your manager could put down to make you look like the "dirty dog."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">