• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Has anyone filed under the new laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mperry60

What is the name of your state? NY

Just wondering if anyone has filed a Chapter 7 under the NEW laws. I know in my district in NY not one has been filed since 10/16.

I was told the new laws are not at all good in that they pit the attorney against the client, opening up a new layer of attorneys--those that will be used by the bk client to sue his bk attorney.

Do you know anything about this?

mperry60

Who's Liable? said:
Filing a BK7 is a VERY difficult thing to do now... Most if not all of the BKs will be a 13 from now on...
Why is that? If you can pass the Means Test you should be able to file a Chapter 7 just as before. No?

Ladynred

Even if you 'pass' the means test, that is NOT a guarantee that you'll get a Ch 7. If you have at least $100/mo in disposable income, given the IRS ALLOWED expenses (not your actual), even if you're below the median income you could wind up in a Ch 13.. a very NASTY Ch 13 for 5 years.

You now have to deal with the mandatory credit counseling before you can even file a petition. There are new requirements on lawyers to be certain that the client's info is accurate - otherwise the lawyer can face fines and sanctions.
The debtor must now provide a LOT of backup documentation WITH the petition, such as tax returns, titles, mortgage contracts, tax assessments and appraisals, bank statements.. LOTs and LOTS of paperwork. Creditors have the right to copies of ALL of it, so I'd bet more creditors will use them to argue fraud.

BK now is an ugly, expensive and nasty process. CH 13 is now a true 'debtors prison' - it certainly isn't the 'fresh start' it was originally meant to be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">