• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hate incident at McDonalds, police have made a report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gaggz

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California
Hi,
On 29May2018, I went to a McDonalds in Carson, CA with my kids. We had a coupon on a previous receipt that offers one free (similar) burger after you take a survey (survey confirmation code was written by me after completion of survey). Somehow, the ill-trained manager said she will not honor the coupon as it said "Promo" on it and assumed it was used before. I told her that the "promo" line was printed as I presented another coupon during my last visit ("promo" verbiage gets printed if a coupon was used while current receipt is generated. The receipt had a different date and I did not use two promotions on same day of same visit. New issued receipt has a "Promo" written on it and has a new survey code, valid for a fresh survey). So my even though my receipt had a "promo" on it, it was was valid as a new survey was taken by me and a confirmation code was entered on receipt following survey completion. I told manager this is how it goes and such receipts were accepted by all managers in past at same store. I also told her my kids were extremely hungry and so I wanted to order several burgers, and hence avail the offer. When she refused, I told her not to give me the offer, so that a fresh receipt was given. However, I told her that when I get the survey code in new receipt, I will fill survey at restaurant, give feedback to McDonalds and write to them how I was treated, and that the manager needed some "re-training". Apparently the word "re-training" ticked her off. So when my order was ready, she yelled at me saying that "you said I need re-training, well you need some education". I told her sharply that I was a foreign MD and that I need not take her sh*t. I did not use any foul words at any time.

While this conversation was going on, a white Hispanic male, jumped into the scene, without understanding what was going on. He started yelling at me and used F bombs. When I retaliated with some F bombs back at him, he called me "Indian A**hole" number of times. At this point, I had started making a video. The manager is seen in the background nodding, smiling and taking sides with this guy (she did not utter any foul word or racist speech though). The manager then refused to give me my food, which I said she has right to refuse service. She told me I used foul words while I said that the other guy used foul language first. She replied "well he is Hispanic, I am Hispanic". meaning that they were of same background so they were "together on this" and refused to acknowledge that that man used foul words, was served food, and that I was being denied on same reason. I said my kids were about to cry with hunger and I even said sorry, but she felt "further entitled" with the apology and declined service. She then kept my receipts, did not refund my money and threatened to call police. I have this on video too. At this time, a retired Veteran, who witnessed the scene, gave me his cellphone number and offered to be a witness to media or police. I am still in touch with this gentleman. He clearly states that a lot wrong was done to me on that day.

Later in night, I went to LAPD station in-charge of this area and they have filed a report (Hate incident). I called McDonalds main customer care, and they have done nothing. This outlet was a franchise. I did get a voice mail from manager of the store stating sorry but thats it. Here is my situation: The white hispanic male started using F-bombs and jumped into the scene trying to be a "hero", he was completely wrong. My 5 year old has thereafter learnt F bomb word from McDonalds. I did get some uneasy sleep for next few nights. Also I do not have receipts to prove my purchase, but have blocked my 2 credit card transactions.

What can I do in such situation? I had uneasy nights and my kids are scared to goto McDonalds. I plan to submit the videos to news channels to air, but can McDonalds take action against me for recording in their property? (Apparently at one time the white hispanic male threatened to break my face, and as I understand CA laws, we are allowed to make video if there is a threat/violent threat, otherwise a consent is required). How can I get my money back? Help on above questions or next course of action would be appreciated. Regards.

justalayman

I told her sharply that I was a foreign MD and that I need not take her sh*t. I did not use any foul words at any time.
If that is a verbatim quote, then yes, you did use a foul word.
If the white hispanic (you do realize that white and Hispanic don’t go,together. They describe 2 different groups of people) was not an employee, The manager had no control or responsibility for his actions or statements.

The only real thing i see wrong is the manager did not give you your food or refund your money

I would contact the franchise owner as well as McDonald corporate headquarters.

Whoops2u

What can I do in such situation? I had uneasy nights and my kids are scared to goto McDonalds. I plan to submit the videos to news channels to air, but can McDonalds take action against me for recording in their property? (Apparently at one time the white hispanic male threatened to break my face, and as I understand CA laws, we are allowed to make video if there is a threat/violent threat, otherwise a consent is required). How can I get my money back? Help on above questions or next course of action would be appreciated. Regards.
1. What do you want to do?

2. While CA is a "two-party" state, the wiretapping laws have to do with conversations the parties believe to be private. I would feel pretty safe in giving the tapes to others to see--especially if they are news organizations. The "Photography is not a crime" websites focus on photographing things the government and its representatives (like police) might not want them too, but if you go to some of their sites, you'll find lots of tips and explanations about individuals in public as well.

3. Get what money back? If they didn't give you food you paid for, I'd ask for it back. Otherwise you'd have to sue in small claims court.

From your description alone, you were treated shabbily in a place of public accommodation. Modernly, we LET people from India sit at the lunch counter as a matter of law. But, civil rights litigation is difficult and uncertain. It never hurts to review your facts with an attorney to see if there is any "there" there. Other than that, http://ag.ca.gov/civilrights/pdf/01cr_handbook.pdf might provide some information you could find useful.

justalayman

though correct on the second point, you are wildly incorrect on the first point.
I’ll take the spanking on that

But I will argue the point that there are very different definitions regarding what a Hispanic person is. It often is based on the individual users intent as much as any truly definable group

So while possibly incorrect, I don’t see it as wildly incorrect as knowing what was meant would be the determining factor.

ShyCat

Also I do not have receipts to prove my purchase, but have blocked my 2 credit card transactions.
Are you saying you disputed two credit card transactions with the card's bank? Why two transactions? Did you actually dispute the prior transaction for which you completed a survey after the earlier visit to McDonalds?!

How can I get my money back?
If your credit card transaction for the undelivered food was reversed by McDonalds or by the bank due to your disputing it, there is no money to get back. If you disputed the previous visit's transaction and the bank fails to reverse that reversal, you owe McDonalds.

Mass_Shyster

If McDonalds took your money and refused to give you the food that you intended to pay for, you may want to report that theft to the police.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If that is a verbatim quote, then yes, you did use a foul word.
If the white hispanic (you do realize that white and Hispanic don’t go,together. They describe 2 different groups of people) was not an employee, The manager had no control or responsibility for his actions or statements.

The only real thing i see wrong is the manager did not give you your food or refund your money

I would contact the franchise owner as well as McDonald corporate headquarters.
Many forms I fill out have boxes for "White/Hispanic" and "White/non-Hispanic". :unsure:

Of course the OP is a very stupid person for either not leaving when the coupon was not honored or simply paying full price.
Also stupid to threaten to leave a bad review... I think that's why OP went through with the purchase to get the receipt, so s/he could do a survey. I think I'd just leave and contact someone higher up in that franchise. There are many ways to get the store # without using a receipt.

Then again, I wouldn't beg and tell the staff my kid was "about to cry with hunger". I'd take the kid's hand, leave, and go someplace better.

I feel about Los Angeles roughly the same way you, Xylene, feel about dogs.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I found, that, with such young children, it was wise to always have a snack and water (or juice box) at hand. So they don't cry with hunger.

ETA.... let's not get into how unhealthy McDs is....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">