• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have a judgment and seem to be worthless!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ggjax

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL, NJ
I won a case in FL. The final judgment is in my hand and my lawyer said thats it nowhere to go. I can e-mail the judgment and you can review it if needed. The defendant was a lawyer in NJ. Some of my fiends suggested to report the defendant lawyer to the BAR association and I might see my money. Is it true? Or is there other ways to pursue my winning judgment?
Thank you for your advice!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FarmerJ

Learn what the judgement renewal process is in the state where you were awarded the judgement , It may seem worthless BUT as time goes on the party the judgement is against will want to do something like buy or sell a home , buy a new car , something related to credit use and the judgement will pop up and interfere with the transaction as well as possibly interfer with other credit related business. Its a waiting game , unless the judgement is of a size that it would be worth hiring a judgement enforcement firm to deal with it.

cyjeff

Agreed.

There is a vast difference between winning a judgment and collecting a judgment.

Is this something that insurance could handle?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL, NJ
I won a case in FL. The final judgment is in my hand and my lawyer said thats it nowhere to go. I can e-mail the judgment and you can review it if needed. The defendant was a lawyer in NJ. Some of my fiends suggested to report the defendant lawyer to the BAR association and I might see my money. Is it true? Or is there other ways to pursue my winning judgment?
Thank you for your advice!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: why is your lawyer telling you such things? Is the defendant lawyer in business?

Last edited:

ggjax

I guess my lawyer was right. Kinda....

Thank you all!!
The two thing what I see here are: 1. To file a judgement lein(sunbiz or affiliate)
2. Judgement renewal process(how to put the jugement on his credit file? Sounds really a waiting game but at least improve my chances.

Are these above the same or different?

How about report the defendant to the Bar?

Thank you again.

rowz

I do not know if this will help. but**************

We are in NJ & sveral years ago won a judgement in Special Civil Court. [one step higher than Small Claims but not quite Superior court]

When awarded a judgement we found that the constable was the one who would chase a judgement and for that their 10% fee was added on to the costs to be paid by the loser.

WOW!!! did the defendant ever wake up and holler when the constable did his job and froze the losers bank accounts.

Is that available in your jurisdiction?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">