• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have a promissory note for over $6k, no payments in 2 years. Personal loan.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DIANALW

Florida

I bought my ex boyfriend a car for about $6k, both he and his partner signed it, agreeing to make monthly payments of $150. They payed for like, 5-6 months and then had trouble making rent, affording food, etc so I was cutting them a lot of slack, since we were still on good terms. Now it has been two years. The title of the car is in my name only. When I went to renew the tags on my vehicle, I noticed the DMV did not have insurance on file for the friend's car, and so I asked my friend if he had insurance to which he did not directly reply (which is his way of saying he cannot afford insurance).

Now he is avoiding talking to me and I can't even get his new address (since he had to move in with friends). Since he has no money in savings, no job and no way to ever pay me, I just want the car back.

My questions are this:

#1: Because he doesn't have insurance on that car, if he gets pulled over, am I legally responsible? Also the law states you need to keep the promissory note in the car, which I am sure he does not, so there is no proof that he is borrowing the car etc.

#2: How can I legally repossess the car? I have a key to the car. If I make a drive to wherever he lives (if he ever replies..), I can't be certain the car will be there. I want to give him time to find a new method of transportation. Apparently he is driving all his roommates to class and work etc, so they also rely on him (..through my car...). Also I want him to have time to clean his crap out of the car. Is there a legal notice I can fill out and email to him?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why are you such a sap about this? Go get your car! Why would you want warn him that you're about to come take the car (thus guaranteeing that it's not there)?

ETA: Why are you referring to this guy as your "friend"?

LdiJ

Why are you such a sap about this? Go get your car! Why would you want warn him that you're about to come take the car (thus guaranteeing that it's not there)?

Seriously. Either go get the car without warning him, or sign the title over to him and notify the DMV. You are sitting on a ticking time bomb otherwise.

DIANALW

I would get the car, if I had any idea where he was located. Also just saying the words friend as an identifier to who I am talking about.

DIANALW

Seriously. Either go get the car without warning him, or sign the title over to him and notify the DMV. You are sitting on a ticking time bomb otherwise.
I can't sign the car over to him because he would have to actually talk to me and come sign the form with me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">