• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have i been cheated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aseem

What is the name of your state? California.

I requested an an auto insurance quote from this Insurance company agent. He asked me how long had i been driving a car?
I told him 1 year in the US and 8 years in my home country- India.

He gave me a good quote ($600 for 6 months) and I paid him 50% of the insurance premium ($300) and very soon i was sent a temporary insurance evidence.

Now, after a month i received a call from the agent and he says that he needed an evidence of my Driving experience in India. Now, i have misplaced/lost my prior licence and do not have it. So, he says that my insurance would go up by $1000.
Since that was too high, i said that i do not want the insurance, and that i should be refunded my money.

He said since i was kep insured for one month, my payment was all gone.
Now, my question is:
Should he not calculate my refund on the basis of the original quote that i got? that is $ 100 should be adjusted towards my one month's premium and i should get $200 refunded.
Instead of this, the insurance company is using the new price of $1600 for calculating my refund.
Should i be forced to accept the new price?

Please let me know.

Thanks.
Aseem Mal.

D

dadrummer

No, you cannot be forced to accept the new price. You should recieve a pro-rated refund of your initial payment, minus any APPLICABLE (some companies charge a membership fee, etc.) charges.
Make a formal (written) request for your refund to the insurance company and send a copy of your request to the office of your state Commissoner of Insurance. Good luck.

ellencee

dadrummer
Is there not some kinds of provision that he must show proof of current insurance before they will process a refund and that the policy will remain in force until he does? Couldn't he actually end up owing more money if he waits to secure insurance from another carrier?

D

dadrummer

ellencee,
I am not aware of any provision(s) that requires a person to have insurance in force in order to obtain a refund (on a pro-rata basis) on a cancelled policy, whether the policy was cancelled by the insurance company or the policy holder.
(Did I read your question correctly?? Last night was a killer!!)

The Five Satins........."In the Still of the Night".....remember that one????

ellencee

I'm sure you read correctly; I asked because a year or so ago, we changed insurance carriers (for a lower rate) and the refund of premiums paid in advance required proof of valid coverage, or no refund, no cancellation. It was a national company and perfectly legal as it was in our policy and its procedures.
That's why I asked.

oh, I surely do remember that! how about "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me" by Mel Carter? (it's a fav of mine, so I could have already asked you that! I'm having memory problems--circuit overload!)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Ellencee, insurance law is state by state. There may be such a requirement in your state without there being one in the original poster's.

Just a thought.

ellencee

cbg
I know it varies from state to state--I was thinking out loud, really, and anticipating his next question of when he went to cancel, they reported him for not having insurance with them any longer, or finding another reason to deny him the refund even if he did show up with license or without it. I guess, I just shouldn't have done that.:eek:

A

aseem

What about me?

Dear dadrummer and Ellencee:
What happened to the answer for my question? I am in California. S, what should i do? I have already procured insurance from another carrier. Can i get the refund on a pro-rated basis?
- Aseem.

ellencee

I do not have the answer to your question. The quickest way to get an answer would be to call your state's office of the Insurance Commissioner. I'm reasonably sure you can find that phone number by searching in the 'yellow pages' on the internet, or by doing a search on the site for the State of California, government site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">