• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have i been cheated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aseem

What is the name of your state? California.

I requested an an auto insurance quote from this Insurance company agent. He asked me how long had i been driving a car?
I told him 1 year in the US and 8 years in my home country- India.

He gave me a good quote ($600 for 6 months) and I paid him 50% of the insurance premium ($300) and very soon i was sent a temporary insurance evidence.

Now, after a month i received a call from the agent and he says that he needed an evidence of my Driving experience in India. Now, i have misplaced/lost my prior licence and do not have it. So, he says that my insurance would go up by $1000.
Since that was too high, i said that i do not want the insurance, and that i should be refunded my money.

He said since i was kep insured for one month, my payment was all gone.
Now, my question is:
Should he not calculate my refund on the basis of the original quote that i got? that is $ 100 should be adjusted towards my one month's premium and i should get $200 refunded.
Instead of this, the insurance company is using the new price of $1600 for calculating my refund.
Should i be forced to accept the new price?

Please let me know.

Thanks.
Aseem Mal.

Jeter

A quote for a temporary policy is a quote based upon information supplied by the insured by word of mouth, or no evidence. The actual insurance policy premium will be a variation of this quote if any new information is brought to light that would affect insurability. A temporary policy, without evidence of insurability cannot be treated as your permanent insurance policy. Apparently, your insurance agent found out some negative information about your driving record. The required documentation would support that the information discovered was either correct or incorrect. You stating "I lost all records" doesn't help you and by default indicates that his info was correct. Without contrary documentation, you are immediately considered a high risk. Therefore you need to pay a higher premium for the one month that you were insured. Since they guaranteed your coverage for one month, they must be paid accordingly.

So to answer your question: Yes, you must accept the new premium.

Jeter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">