• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Haven't filed taxes for a few years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tercesterces

Situation: I worked out of state for a few years (Texas) and have not filed a return during this time. I've never paid much attention to these things since I always claim zero dependents. This is the first time I have worked out of state and kept a residence in another state (Missouri) and didn't think about state taxes. The state I was working in has no state income tax. Now I am wondering what kind of pickle I might be in.

Question: Will they charge me a "significant" penalty when I file taxes? Should I get a Tax Attorney to deal with any issues relating to this?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I'll repeat the same answer I gave you on the other site. Assuming you were a resident of Missouri for those years you did not file and that you owe income tax on the returns you file late the state will add a late filing penalty of 5% of the tax due for each month that the return is filed late with a maximum penalty of 25%. So if the return is filed 5 or more months late your late filing penalty is 25% of the tax due on the return. The state also charges a late payment penalty and interest on the tax due as well. The Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR) provides an online penalty and interest calculator to help you figure out exactly how much is due.

So far I'm not seeing anything here that you'd need a tax attorney for. I suggest that you prepare the returns that you need to file and see how much you owe and use the online calculator to figure out the total due. Once you have that information you can then decide how best to deal with the situation you have. If you can't pay the full amount owed right away you can ask the DOR about an installment agreement or other payment options.

tercesterces

Taxing Matters, thank you once again for replying. Just Blue, thank you for clarifying the relevance of Taxing Matters reply.

Really didn't want to be in this situation. Shrug. Divorce, etc, etc, etc... I just shut down for a few years. What Taxing Matters says I have no doubt of. And my circumstances matter not one iota undoubtedly. It's a thug life "give me my cut in a timely manner, or else!".

I'm getting ready to file. Just needed to know what "options" are available before doing so. As I try to get my life back on track I am going to use every option available to me. And I need a foundation of understanding of what those options are before going down that road.

edited for spelling.

LdiJ

Taxing Matters, thank you once again for replying. Just Blue, thank you for clarifying the relevance of Taxing Matters reply.

Really didn't want to be in this situation. Shrug. Divorce, etc, etc, etc... I just shut down for a few years. What Taxing Matters says I have no doubt of. And my circumstances matter not one iota undoubtedly. It's a thug life "give me my cut in a timely manner, or else!".

I'm getting ready to file. Just needed to know what "options" are available before doing so. As I try to get my life back on track I am going to use every option available to me. And I need a foundation of understanding of what those options are before going down that road.

edited for spelling.
Once you know exactly how much you owe, people here might be able to provide some additional advice. Whenever I am dealing with a client who has multiple years of taxes to do the first piece of advice I give them is to get the returns prepared so that they know how much they owe. You don't have to immediately file them if you want to get some advice first, just get them prepared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">