• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Havent filed taxes....please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Pa

Ok, in 2002, I have no tax liability becase I earned well below $7,000. Thats a definate. In 2003, I claimed exempt with one of my jobs that only lasted 7 months out of the year, and I didnt expect to exceed $ 7,000. However, I got another job later that year that would normally put me over 7k, but because I was only there the last 4 months of the year, I claimed expemt...thinking that I wouldnt owe any taxes, but I made more than 7k for the year. 2004 came, I filed exempt again becasue I only planned working 6 mos and not making more than 7k...but I sure did. I made 34,000 dollars last year. On my w2 for 2004, there were 0.00 taken out for FICA taxes. So, I have full tax liability on this year. And this year, they have not taken enough. This year, i expect to make close to 70k and only 7k has been taken out. No heres my question. Presumably, I am going to owe taxes from 2003 and 2004. If I take my taxes to a professional tax profession and have them compute what I exactly owe the irs for those years, and If I send the full 100% amount due for each year, will the irs still come after me, even though I would have paid everything? Or will they just let it go since they got all the penalties and interest? I know it was a stupid thing to do, but if they see the 0.00 for fica withheld last year, even if they get all of the money, are they still going to push the issue? And by the way, what kind of $$ penalties am I looking at?


Senior Member
FICA is social security and medicare. If your employer didn't take out anything for FICA, and you received an ordinary W2, it isn't your problem, it's the employer's problem.

To answer your question, if you take your stuff to a tax professional, get it all done, and pay everything you owe, no, they will not come after you.

They won't bother you at all. Just don't claim exempt anymore. It isn't just the current year, you have to have had NO tax liability in the prior year, nor anticipate any in the current year.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential