• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having a vehicle repaired by my insurance preferred service provider Turned into a nightmare.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PilarlindaLV

What is the name of your state?Nevada
Unfortunately, I ended up in a situation that has turned my world upside down. I never thought that having a vehicle Repaired properly could turn into such a frustrating lengthy process. Having to settle with a collision repair shop that I had no prior knowledge of. I Put my trust in my insurer with the hope they had my better interest in mind, offering their preferred service provider Service King Collision and auto body. I was enticed by lifetime guarantee of workmanship and parts. With the repair time of 12 days Claim amount $4579.86. I was happy I would be back on the road in no time. I thought I had made the best choice going with the insurers request. I thought my vehicle would be well cared for. Service King received my vehicle July 20,2022. August 3,2022 and I first read their estimate, I noticed they were ordering parts from a place called LQK so l googled LQK they are a company in North Las Vegas that reconditions junkyard parts. 8-3-22 Kevin “My husband” told service King and the adjuster he did not want them to install anything other than OEM parts. Especially a Steering column. Kevin told them they are Dangerous, and they fail. My wife drives my grand childern around daily in that vehicle. (Kevin was a mechanic for several years and held an ASE certification.) Well, they installed the Steering Column anyway, it failed. Instead of picking up my vehicle 8-26-2022 I was told they had to replace the steering column now the total on my claim is $8118.79. I also found out they sublet the work to I don’t know who they refused to tell me. I did not receive any invoice or warranty for the aftermarket Steering column installed. Whoever they sublet my vehicle to needed to pull the engine and transmission for the second time. The adjuster went by what the shop Estimator suggested. When I asked where my vehicle having mechanical repairs done the shop or the Adjuster would not tell me. 85 % of my calls to Service King to find out the status of my vehicle where never returned. I had no idea when I would get my vehicle back, the rent a car was taken back on August 30,2022 I been missing work because I have no transportation. I worked hard to purchase my Toyota Tundra It’s the first new vehicle I owned. I take diligent care of my Toyota. All repairs on my Toyota were done by the Toyota dealership.

I finally received my vehicle back on 9-7-2022. While driving the vehicle it home it felt strange. I had a vibration when accelerating beyond 35 MPH. The truck pulls to the right. It is like I was driving at a right angle. I also hear an exhaust leak. 9-14-2022 I decided to take my truck to the Toyota dealership for an inspection. They found parts that service king was supposed to change are still the original ones. There is part of the axle seal at the deferential that now is leaking. My water pump is now leaking. I’m totally missing The TRD Skid plate that protects the oil pan when off roading. The Toyota dealership wrote an estimate for $6100.06 to repair what service King said they repaired. I just emailed Geico a copy of Toyota’s estimate and asked what was going to be done about my truck. I received a reply that Toyota’s estimate was approved.

upset on which committed fraud by not replacing parts they charged for and now my claim is over sixteen thousand. Now this is on my records so when I apply for any insurance I will be charged more because they would think I’m a risk.

adjusterjack

Now this is on my records so when I apply for any insurance I will be charged more because they would think I’m a risk.
Any accident surcharge would be the same regardless of the amount of the claim. However, if you were not at fault you wouldn't be surcharged by GEICO though any claim could affect rates if you applied to other companies.

As for the repair shop, write them up on Yelp and Google review sites so other potential customers will know what happened. Probably should have looked them up before accepting the referral.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just as a note, a steering column from the junkyard is an "OEM" part, as it would have been manufactured by Toyota. Ok, not "Toyota", but it's the column they install in the truck at the factory. An "aftermarket" part is one that is manufactured by a third-party, not at the direction of of the manufacturer for installation in new vehicles. What you got was a used part, not an aftermarket part.

Also, it is very unlikely that you can force the insurance company to pay for brand new OEM parts. You would need to read your policy for that.

doucar

Just for future reference, in Nevada at least, the insurance company cannot require you to use their recommended repair or body shops, in fact many "recommended" body shops a merely friends with the adjustor.

adjusterjack

Also, it is very unlikely that you can force the insurance company to pay for brand new OEM parts. You would need to read your policy for that.
May vary from company to company. I looked at three sample Nevada auto policies. One said "like kind and quality." Two others said payment "will be based on the cost of repair or replacement parts and equipment which may be new, reconditioned, remanufactured, or used, including, but not limited to: i. original manufacturer parts or equipment; or ii. non-original manufacturer parts or equipment" without giving any criteria for either.

There are currently no Nevada statutes mandating OEM parts. There was a bill proposed in 2019 that would have mandated OEM parts for vehicles up to 5 years old. It did not pass.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">