• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having both ways!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CAlifornia

I have just spoken to a clerk at the Fairfield Court. I asked how I can have the fine reduced and go to the traffic school, I was cited for driving 82 on 65 freeway.

She told me that I could plead not guilty, appear in front of a judge and ask him to reduce the fine and go to a traffic school. This sound to me too good to be true. If I plead not guilty and go to the court there is a chance that the office will not appear. Even if he does and I am found guilty, according to what I was told, I could ask to have the fine reduced and go to the traffic school? If I am found guilty would the judge do that, or would I loose everything pay the fine and still get points on my driving license?

Is this true? Can I do that? Or is it too risky or maybe misunderstanding between her and me.


Junior Member
Having Both Ways!!

Thanks for your answer.

Can I plead no gulty, ask for the reduced fine and the traffic school by written declaretion, without appearance in the court?


Senior Member
Only the judge can reduce the fine.

Keep in mind that most judges take traffic school off the table if you countest the cite ... that is, if you take the stand. If the officer doesn't show without an excuse, you could be good to go. If he does show, the court often lets people plead guilty and take traffic school.

Note: I have rarely seen a judge reduce a fine on a guilty or no contest plea .. but it COULD happen. Usually the court sets a fine and that's what it stays at.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential