• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having to pay a fee for something that is not mandatory

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Here is another FCC link:
https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/electromagnetic-compatibility-division/radio-frequency-safety/faq/rf-safety

There are a few people who claim a special sensitivity to radio frequencies (electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome or EHS). These individuals experience health issues when they are in close proximity to smart meters for a prolonged period of time.

The majority of the population, according to studies, should not experience any adverse health effects from the meters. And there continues to be debate about the legitimacy of EHS claims as they relate to smart meters (and cell phones).

What would be important in any case is the need for medical documentation if someone expects to use adverse health effects as the reason for an opt-out fee waiver.

quincy

From the FCC information linked to by Neil:

“Some scientific studies have shown that non-thermal effects due to cumulative or prolonged exposure to lower levels of RF emissions can cause adverse health effects ... If health problems are experienced with the installation of Smart Meters, a comprehensive EMF and RF survey should be conducted to rule out other sources of elevated electromagnetic fields ... Be also aware that any electric meter - be it analog, digital, or smart - is a ‘hot spot’ for elevated magnetic fields, which is why frequent-use rooms such as bedrooms and dining areas should be located away from electrical meters.”

FarmerJ

at one of the group homes for a long time what was used as a exorcise room later became a bedroom for a client who was having a lot of pysch issues and on the outside wall of that room that became his bedroom the homes meter and its a smart meter, eventually the clients DR ordered EST for him and then he moved over to the home I was at on a regular basis and we saw him improve a lot more. BUT I have to admit that was about the time I found so called horror stories about smart meters and health concerns and last but not least the guy up in Ontario Canada , it appeared his home had its original maybe 60 amp service and a smart meter was installed by the hydro and it caught on fire and he was quite mad because he was forced to do a new electric service when it had not been planned for and other videos I found where the new meters caught on fire. I get it that smart meters are all about letting the electric companies not only manage loads and demand better but at the same time if you have electric cooking and make supper about the same time every day now they can guess what your dinner time is , as well as little things about your use that they never knew before like if a house has a electric hot water heater they could even guess what time of day showers or laundry might be run. ( also I imagine smart meters provide so much information to utilitys that they can figure out a lot easier electricity theft and probably pin it down a lot easier now than how old style metering was. BUT again if a home owner can maybe a good or better choice would be to have it farther out in the yard in one of them green meter boxes or even next to the power pole , there are homes ive seen here that do have meter socket on a post or the power pole out by the road .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
at one of the group homes for a long time what was used as a exorcise room later became a bedroom for a client who was having a lot of pysch issues and on the outside wall of that room that became his bedroom the homes meter and its a smart meter, eventually the clients DR ordered EST for him and then he moved over to the home I was at on a regular basis and we saw him improve a lot more. BUT I have to admit that was about the time I found so called horror stories about smart meters and health concerns and last but not least the guy up in Ontario Canada , it appeared his home had its original maybe 60 amp service and a smart meter was installed by the hydro and it caught on fire and he was quite mad because he was forced to do a new electric service when it had not been planned for and other videos I found where the new meters caught on fire. I get it that smart meters are all about letting the electric companies not only manage loads and demand better but at the same time if you have electric cooking and make supper about the same time every day now they can guess what your dinner time is , as well as little things about your use that they never knew before like if a house has a electric hot water heater they could even guess what time of day showers or laundry might be run. ( also I imagine smart meters provide so much information to utilitys that they can figure out a lot easier electricity theft and probably pin it down a lot easier now than how old style metering was. BUT again if a home owner can maybe a good or better choice would be to have it farther out in the yard in one of them green meter boxes or even next to the power pole , there are homes ive seen here that do have meter socket on a post or the power pole out by the road .
Perhaps it was all the exorcised demons, not the electric meter...

quincy

In Michigan there were house fires attributed to smart meter installation, too, as well as a great deal of concern expressed over health issues and the personal data being accumulated by the utilities.

I agree that having meters located away from the home could alleviate most fire and health concerns, which leaves concern over data collection. If you tend to trust that public entities will not share what they learn about you with others - even if this sharing of data can benefit them financially - then that eliminates that concern. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">