• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hazard ins on inherited prop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cyberdense2

California--inherited mother's house by will but not yet begun probate. Reside in house and am paying hazard ins premiums on her existing policy. Is house still covered as the estate of decedent. I am both executor and sole beneficiary and plan to begin probate soon. Probate will be uncontested. What should I do in ref to the hazard insurance in the interim? No existing liens, mortgages, or judgements exist but I am concerned about protecting the asset, (estate value prox 200k). Appreciate any advice, thanks.

ALawyer

Keep paying the premiums. The insurance does not lapse on death, and as long as the continued risk does not increase the risk you're okay. One thing more. Some policies stop covering property that is not occupied after a certain period of time as the risk of vandalism increases when a property is abandoned; read the policy and ask the broker about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">