• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Benefits for some but not all?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terriosouthstar

What is the name of your state? Oregon
I was wondering, if my employer offers health insurance paid by the company to some of the employee's, is it required to make the same offer to all of the employee's?

mlane58

I was wondering, if my employer offers health insurance paid by the company to some of the employee's, is it required to make the same offer to all of the employee's?
The answer is no

An employer can slice out "classes" of employees and offer insurance only to those classes of employees, i.e. full time vs part time.

Beth3

Ditto to what mlane said. Additionally, the employer must comply with the definition of "eligible classes of employees" in their group health plan document. If, for example, it says only members of management are eligible for participation, then those are the only employees to whom participation must be offered. If it says "all regular full-time employees who work 40 hours per week" are eligible, then all employees meeting that criteria must be offered insurance coverage. The employer can't pick and choose among full-time employees as to who to offer coverage to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">