• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Ins. coverage after job termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tigerlily

I am trying to find out who I would need to call for this info or if any one has an answer for this particular problem please reply.
My babys sitters husband was laid off from his job yesterday he carries their health insurance. The company told him he could continue his ins. on his own but the rate is very high and I am not sure they will be able to pay for the plan now. Before this happened his wife had gone to the doctor and had some test done and they came back questionable and now she is being referred to a different Dr. to determine what the problem is, if the ins. policy cancels at the end of this month will their coverage stop immediately or is there a grace period. in wich that the coverage will continue until they have to decide on whether they can afford to keep th policy going or not. It seems like I had heard of either a 60 day or 90 day period that coverage continues for? They live in Indiana, but the husband works for a company in Kentucky.
Any info anyone has on this would be great.
Thank You

B

buddy2bear

Usually when a person loses their job, their insurance ends on the day they lost their job. In the past, insurance companies did have a "grace" period, usually until the end of the month, but nowadays with the high cost, they don't give you anything you haven't paid for. Perhaps it would be a good idea for your babysitter's husband to take advantage of the COBRA "benefit" if possible, until they find out what is wrong. The only other thing would be to see if she qualifies for somekind of State program wherein low income is eligible for medical assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">