• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health INS/Welfare Fraud PLEASE HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Any Hope

What is the name of your state? South Dakota

It looks like my husband's ex-girlfriend has committed welfare fraud. How can we go about proving this???
My husband has always paid her child support in cash (I know, a bad thing to do) not court ordered. He had his son on his health insurance from birth. In November last year she started receiving MinnesotaCare, Medical Assistance and Child Care assistance for their son. If their son has always been covered health wise, how can he qualify for this??? It appears that child support payments should have been paid to the Minnesota Child Support Payment Center and not directly to the custodial parent, so the payments would go towards receiving this public assistance. I'm really not sure how all of this works, I would really appreciate your help. She is threatening to take my husband to court over the child support payments, I want it all to be done through the court, that way it's all legal and my husband knows exactly how much he should be paying....but I am sure she will claim that he has not paid her anything so far. I am so confused and don't know how to explain the situation clearly. I really need some advice on what we can do to prove she has been committing fraud (I may be wrong on this, but from what I have read, that is what it looks like). If we are able to prove this, do you think my husband would be able to get sole custody of his son?

ALawyer

This is NOT an insurance matter but a mix between criminal -- and the local prosecutors handle those matters -- and domestic relations, divorce and custody issues. I have not aclue about what a local court might do in a custody case, at least if the other parent is not in jail.

B

bowler87

Before assuming too much, do a few simple checks.
Write the hospital/clinic where child received treatment.
Ask them what balance is and who paid.
Ask insurance company what they have paid and to whom.
A lien most likely has been filed by MN Welfare on Insur pol.
I have a hunch the MN agency picked up the deductible.

After doing these checks, if you still feel something is amiss, contact the MN Governor's office for name of Welfare Fraud investigators

I am not a lawyer--but i have some understanding of the insurance process.

C

CombatTN88

Jesse Ventura

Yeah. Contacting Governor Jesse Ventura - a tough guy whom chewed tobacco. He will take care of that.

Seriously, when your husband ex girlfriend applied for state assistance, the state assistance usually will demand to know about the father, so it can go after father for child suppot and etc.. to pay state back. It is how it goes in Tennessee.

Regards, Combat

A

Any Hope

They did send my husband some info, and a contact number of a person if he had questions. He called the number numerous times with no call back. His ex told him to keep paying her the CS even though the paperwork he received stated otherwise. Well, my husband kept paying his ex bacause she claimed she told the state that he was already paying her so there was no need for them to go after him.

Tell me, are there going to be any ramifications for my husband paying her the CS and not the State???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">