• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance after being fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debkay

Hi. I reside in TX. I was recently fired from my job. More on that on another site. My question here is regarding continuation of the medical insurance. I was informed coverage stopped on the day I was fired. I was not given any information on COBRA re: this policy.
My husband's insurance will pick us up on that policy. However they, my husband's insurance co., says that my company has to cover me until the first of the month. It is some kind of federal regulation. Can anyone explain further?

Thanks in advance
debkay

ALawyer

COBRA covers larger employers, not very small ones (below 15 or 25 or 35 employees -- I don't have the number at hand). Some states have laws that drop that down further.

Usuallly employers have to pay premium 10 days before the beginning of the month. So if you were fired 12/2 the company already may have paid for you thru 12/31.

If you have a problem make the demand on your old employer.

D

debkay

COBRA & termination

Thank you ALawyer,

A bit more info.
My employer is large over 1800 retail stores.
I was terminated on 12/18 not 12/2.
Does this change the scenario?
I am concerned also about my husband's insurance coverage picking me up on the policy as I had thyroid cancer in June of 99. They have not said I am totally free & clear of this. Can the new co. refuse to cover me?
Thanks again
debkay

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">