• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance after Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmi05

Hi,
i live in Massachusetts. divorced in July 1998. in divorce agreement ex was to continue health insurance coverage for me. no problems until about 4 months ago ex says he may not be able to cover me. in August 2001 he received letter from BCBS saying that effective July 1998 i was no longer covered under his policy......
now, all doctors that i have been to since july 1998 are calling and sending me bills for my visits. (as soon as i found out there may be a problem I stopped going to dr, stopped filling my prescriptions) I'm no hypocondriac, but there are quite a lot of bills, there are appointments I would not have made had I not had coverage
can this happen? I don't know what to do. I would have obtained my own coverage--which I could have, had I known that he could not cover me (FEHB rules).
Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dmi05 said:
Hi,
i live in Massachusetts. divorced in July 1998. in divorce agreement ex was to continue health insurance coverage for me. no problems until about 4 months ago ex says he may not be able to cover me. in August 2001 he received letter from BCBS saying that effective July 1998 i was no longer covered under his policy......
now, all doctors that i have been to since july 1998 are calling and sending me bills for my visits. (as soon as i found out there may be a problem I stopped going to dr, stopped filling my prescriptions) I'm no hypocondriac, but there are quite a lot of bills, there are appointments I would not have made had I not had coverage
can this happen? I don't know what to do. I would have obtained my own coverage--which I could have, had I known that he could not cover me (FEHB rules).
Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
My response:

You know, his problem really breaks my heart. It really does.

I don't give a good god-damn what his problem is !

The reality of his life is that it's a court order to insure you, and damn it, HE SHALL INSURE YOU ! It's a court order ! And, right now, he's in Contempt of Court for failing to insure your health.

Go back to court by filing an Order to Show Cause. The judge will make him pay for all of your medicals that weren't covered, and will force him to buy health insurance for you. If that's the order, then that's the order !

He can't just say to you one day, "Oh well, I can't insure you anymore". That's bullcrap. I don't care if he has to work at McDonald's to get insurance, but get it he will - - or face some jail time for being in Contempt of Court.

Don't sit back on this one - - don't take it on the chin. File your papers A.S.A.P.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">