• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance and home assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

canyon83

What is the name of your state? Washington
If I do not have health insurance, but own a home, can I be forced to sell my home or otherwise be at risk of losing it due to medical costs incurred by an injury or illness? Is there a way to protect my home from this?

Bigfoot

Here's a worst case scenario that I'm familiar with.

Say you require medical attention and you become an inpatient for several days. The hospital knows you don't have coverage but provide service anyhow. Before you are discharged, you should consult a Medicaid counselor, if your assets are fairly low. You will be billed for most medical services, however, some may be forgive over a period of time.

For purposes of maintaining good/fair credit report, you'll want to make at least a $10 payment monthly to your creditors until you're able to pay a larger amount.

Don't endure poor health in fear of losing your home. Just contact your local dept. of social services as soon as you find yourself in a difficult position so that your hard paid tax dollars are put to work-for you.

C

canyon83

Thanks for the reply, Bigfoot. Here's the deal - we are self-employed and have to pay our own insurance. We have only catastrophic coverage, but it is expensive, and going up 30% a year (every year for the last 5-6 years). I want to cancel it, but am worried about losing our house if something happens. If I cancel the insurance and something happens that requires a lot of medical care, could we lose the house?

A

advicesucks

possibly, but there may be ways to save the house (assuming that is your ONLY asset for purposes of this post)

its not like the hospitals collectors are going to come and take it if you have a big bill....the bill may go to collections and they may even sue you, but you may be able to file for bankruptcy and get the debt discharged.

Usually for medical bills under $10k or so, they dont sue, they just report it on your credit report...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">