• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health insurance and medical expenses reimbursement for kids after 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tanya1974

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.
My husband had a settlement agreement with his ex wife that he shall provide health insurance coverage for the parties children as long as they are eligible to be covered under husbands health insurance policy. He kept to pay for both kids until the youngest turned 19. After two years of divorce he lost his job ,met me and we got married. We still were continuing to pay for his kids insurance in spite that we didn't have any insurance and I had 8 years old son who lived with us. My husband stopped to pay health insurance and medical expenses when his youngest child turned 19. Since my husband became self employed we needed to purchase insurance on our own money. what we finely did when his youngest child turned 21. Now his daughter 23 and his son is 29. His ex-wife applied to court for reimbursement for her medical expenses and health insurance expenses since we quiet to pay when the youngest child turned 19. His ex wife had state job and could apply kids on her insurance plan but she chose not to do so, instead she purchased a separate health insurance for her daughter through UVA, which cost 600$ in a month and the oldest son was already 26. Nowadays she believes that because of Obamas care law (which says that you can keep your child on insurance policy until the child turns 26) she wants force us through the court system to put the youngest child who is 23 now on our self purchased health insurance because in that divorce settlement agreement which were sign in 2008 is written : '' husband and wife agree that husband shall provide health insures coverage for the parties' children as long as they are eligible to be covered under husbands health insurance policy. She also wants that we reimbursed her all medical and health insurance expenses.what chance does she has to win?
Also as I know she left the marriage because of her boyfriend, never worked living in marriage, grabbed three pieces of property and was happy until her boyfriend left her. Since that happened she interferences, keeps molestation and uses indirect control trying poisoning our marriage. Can be something done to stop her doing that?

Proserpina

My husband had a settlement agreement with his ex wife that he shall provide health insurance coverage for the parties children as long as they are eligible to be covered under husbands health insurance policy. He kept to pay for both kids until the youngest turned 19. After two years of divorce he lost his job ,met me and we got married. We still were continuing to pay for his kids insurance in spite that we didn't have any insurance and I had 8 years old son who lived with us. My husband stopped to pay health insurance and medical expenses when his youngest child turned 19. Since my husband became self employed we needed to purchase insurance on our own money. what we finely did when his youngest child turned 21. Now his daughter 23 and his son is 29. His ex-wife applied to court for reimbursement for her medical expenses and health insurance expenses since we quiet to pay when the youngest child turned 19. His ex wife had state job and could apply kids on her insurance plan but she chose not to do so, instead she purchased a separate health insurance for her daughter through UVA, which cost 600$ in a month and the oldest son was already 26. Nowadays she believes that because of Obamas care law (which says that you can keep your child on insurance policy until the child turns 26) she wants force us through the court system to put the youngest child who is 23 now on our self purchased health insurance because in that divorce settlement agreement which were sign in 2008 is written : '' husband and wife agree that husband shall provide health insures coverage for the parties' children as long as they are eligible to be covered under husbands health insurance policy. She also wants that we reimbursed her all medical and health insurance expenses.what chance does she has to win?
Also as I know she left the marriage because of her boyfriend, never worked living in marriage, grabbed three pieces of property and was happy until her boyfriend left her. Since that happened she interferences, keeps molestation and uses indirect control trying poisoning our marriage. Can be something done to stop her doing that?

Wait a darn second.

MOLESTATION?

Did you use the wrong word?

LdiJ

If your husband's children are 23 and 29 and the two of you are allowing anything she does or has to say to effect your marriage, that is on you and your husband.

If their divorce decree states that husband is to keep the children insured, on his insurance, for as long as they are eligible, then he has been violating the divorce decree by not including his eligible child on his current insurance. Even before Obama care went into effect his youngest would still have been eligible to be on his insurance until age 24. Obama care just raised the age from 24 to 27.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nowadays she believes that because of Obamas care law (which says that you can keep your child on insurance policy until the child turns 26) she wants force us through the court system to put the youngest child who is 23 now on our self purchased health insurance because in that divorce settlement agreement which were sign in 2008 is written : '' husband and wife agree that husband shall provide health insures coverage for the parties' children as long as they are eligible to be covered under husbands health insurance policy. She also wants that we reimbursed her all medical and health insurance expenses.what chance does she has to win?

Personally, I agree with her interpretation and think her chances are reasonably good.

ecmst12

However, I doubt OP has read her husband's court order. HE needs a lawyer to handle the court case and SHE needs to MYOB.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I highly suggest that your husband take the divorce decree to an attorney. The devil is in the details. Are either of these children dependents of either parent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">