• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance cancelled for spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thealfords2001

What is the name of your state? KY

My mother-in-law has had insurance through her employer for 2 years and her spouse has been on the policy. Recently, her employers decided to change insurance companies. They also told their employees that they are only offering insurance for employees only starting May 1, 2004. Do they not have to continue offering insurance for spouses and children, even if they do not help pay with the premium for that insurance?

R

Ramoth

Nope. It's perfectly legal for them to offer insurance only to employees. I'm pretty sure, however, that they have to offer COBRA to all the dependants losing their coverage.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
With the exception of the state of Hawaii, an employer has no legal requirement to offer health insurance to the employees, let alone to the dependents. As Ramoth said, it is perfectly legal for them to drop dependent coverage. In fact, this is not only legal, it's becoming quite common as the cost of health insurance skyrockets.

T

thealfords2001

Thanks for your advice. My mother in law greatly appreciated all your advice and help. Hopefully they can get some help through Medicare since her spouse is disabled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">