• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health insurance - Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Adviseme1st

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Washington DC

I am currently unemployed and my sister has added my two-year old daughter to her health insurance at work. Which will allow my daughter to be properly covered in the event of a medical situation, and for her shots and things like that. This is a temporary arrangement until I get a job.

She took my daughter to the doctor this morning and they asked my sister for proof of ID, and wrote her name down also, but nothing more. My sister noted that when others came in, the request to see ID was not asked of anyone else.

In addition, when she called to make an appointment for my daughter yesterday, they informed her that my daughter was already in the system, under another policy (MINE.... we both have the same HMO), I assumed, health coverage expired for me 30 days after termination which occurred in Jan.

Q:??? I want to make sure that in my sister's desire to help provide health coverage for my child duriing this trying time, that she has not placed herself in a position that may hurt her, since she is not the legal guardian of my daughter.

Please let me know, if any health insurance laws have been violated through this good deed. Thank you

:confused:

Beth3

The terms of your sister's health plan define who qualfies as a legal dependent and is therefore eligible for coverage. And I can guarantee you that nieces and nephews of the insured are NOT listed.

Your sister could be prosecuted and/or sued for fraud and when her employer finds out that she lied and listed a niece as her daughter/legal dependent, she can count on losing her job as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">