• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Claim

• Thread starter apoorcollegestudent
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

apoorcollegestudent

I received a summons stating that I am being sued for an outstanding medical bill. I agree that I incurred the bill, but because my coverage changed the day after I incurred the bill, it was sent to the wrong address of the insurance company. The bill is 3 years old and I just spoke with the insurance co. and they say because of how old the bill is, it may take up to two(2) weeks to recieive an answer. I am to appear in court on Feb.26th. My problem is it seems that now there is no reason for the court to enter judgement notwithstanding on the plantiff's behalf. What can I do to "lit a fire" under the insurance company and hopefully not have to hire an attorney to litagate on my behalf for a continuance?

ALawyer

First, this has been brewing for 3 years, and during that time the doctor was not paid, thru no fault of his or hers. That's not fair to the doctor. You had ample time to try to get this resolved before, and having to sue you for the bill is expensive to the doctor. ANd as for the insurance company, it's not their fault either. They can not pay claims they do not know about, and they often can reject late claims, and 3 years is rather late.

Second, be sure to answer the complaint. DO NOT DEFAULT. The fact that the doctor has billed you, say $1,000, does not mean that the services were worth $1,000. Under many insurance and HMO and PPS plans doctors agree to reduce their fees substantially, say to $500 for the exact same procedure, As a a judge I would be inclined in such cases to accept the $500 as the going fair market value of the services, not the "rack rate".

Third, if you go to court bring with you all the paperwork to support your claim that the insurance company is finally working on it. And you may be able to ask for a few weeks extension.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">