• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Co. won't pay for child birth.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

irishfan

What is the name of your state? Montana

I previously didn't have health insurance. My wife does, but she is the only one covered under her policy. We consulted an insurance agent about getting health insurance for myself and our child to be. He told us that we didn't have to sign up until the child was born. He said we had 30 days from the day he was born to get a policy in place. We signed up for our policy a couple days after our son was born. Now the insurance company is saying that they won't pay for anything because our son was not an addition to an existing policy. I don't know what to do because the local agent told us we didn't need to sign up until he was born. Should I get a lawyer? What advice does anyone have for me?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Edited because I misread the post the first time through.

Either you misunderstood the agent, or he doesn't really understand what he's doing.

If you had signed up for insurance before your son was born, you would have had 30 days to add him to the policy and his birth would have been covered. (BTW, I am talking about any charges that are for the child and the child alone; charges regarding your wife would ONLY be covered under her policy unless you included her in your policy as well.) But they are not going to go back and retroactively pick up charges that were incurred before the policy was written.

If it has been less than 30 days still since your son's birth, RIGHT NOW add him to your wife's policy and the charges can be covered there. Unless you are saying that the policy WILL NOT cover dependents at all, in which case you are out of luck. If it has been more than 30 days since your son's birth, you are out of luck anyway.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">