• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance company went bankrupt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

panorama

If anybody has any advice, it would be greatly appeciated...

In March, 2001 I had MRI done. It wasn't until April of 2003 I found out that my health insurance never paid for the service when I received a bill for over $1000.

Now the hospital comes after me...two years later. After sending to me the same bill month after month (I kept sending them the bankruptcy court paper with no payment) now they hired a agency to collect money for them. Am I responsible for the bill? Even though my coverage was good at the time of rendered service? Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. The insurance carrier did not receive the services; you did. If at any time the insurance carrier does not pay for a service, for whatever reason, it is the responsibility of the patient to see that the bill is paid.

JETX

And you might want to check with your state insurance commission. Most states provide a fund that pays claims when a licensed insurance provider files for bankruptcy.

Also, some other company surely purchased the bankrupt company. Find out who they are and contact them about the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">