• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spencar

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I have been on chemo for a year due to colon cancer and have come to the end of my treatment however, my employer terminated me just one month before I was to return to work and therefore terminating my mediacl insurance as well.
I still have final surgeries to be completed as to conclude the treatment, I.E. colonoscopy, removal of port cath from my chest cavity and a final cat scan.
My former insurance company refuses to cover these expenses although tey are on going from the time I began treatment. Don't they have to pay?

C

CIAA

Spencar, I'm sorry but benefits end when the coverage ends. Therefore it's important for you to consider the following immediately:

1. If your employer had 20 an average of 20 or more employees for the year 2001, you should be qualified for COBRA continuation coverage for 18 months.

2. I believe that Kentucky has either mandated or asked insurers to voluntarily provide a "coverage continuation" provision clause in group health policies covering 2-19 employees. Get a copy of your policy and see if it has such a provision. Since many of these state "mini-cobra" laws are relatively new, the policy may not have the change attached or yet included, so call your state board of insurance and find out if you are entitled to continue the coverage under their state law.

3. finally if none of the above, their may be a "conversion privilege allowing you to convert to an individual health policy. It will be a much higher premium, but well worth your situation.

All of the best to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">