• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance denial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tomboy

What is the name of your state? north carolina...i agreed to a blood and urine test as part of an application for new health insurance...i currently have insurance and had a complete physical a year ago and am healthy....the company has denied my application for coverage...when i asked them to disclose to me the results of the blood and urine test, they refused saying that i would have to have a physician send them a letter and then they would release the test results to the physician and then I could get the results from that doctor. is this legal? is the insurance co. within its rights to do this? are they not required to disclose my own lab results directly to me at my request be it by phone or in writing? clarification appreciated...

C

CIAA

Tomboy, this is not to unusual. Many private physicians will release your records to a referral doctor and not to you. You didn't pay for the tests or analysis and ownership probably belongs to the insurance company.

However, one of the primary reasons doctors, hospitals, physicians and insurance companies are hesitant for a person to review their own medical records, is because they don't believe that the person is capable or qualified to understand and interpret them or the medical necessity they may imply. At the same time, an insurance company doesn't want to be providing medical advice without a license.

You should find a doctor and have the records sent to him for discussion for several reasons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">