• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ryan_w_frank

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My base issue is small, and probably not worth it, but I figured I would try anyway. Here is goes...

In my employee handbook, under description for health benefit eligibility the statement that concerns me is this:

"Eligible dependents are defined as the employee's legal spouse as defined by the state of residence, or the employee's same gender domestic partner, and the partner's children..."

Too me this reads, because I am not a homosexual I cannot get insurance for my girlfriend of 4 years, whom I own a house with, have joint checking accounts and share the same automobile insurance... I do not need a piece of paper to prove I love this person. I also do not need the tax hit by being married... I feel as this is discrimination. Is it worth pursueing further with HR or the insurance company.

My Girlfriend does not have insurance at her current job, and I would like to add her mine...

What do I do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You accept the fact that whether you think it fair or not, this is not illegal discrimination. I don't know of a single company that will permit the addition of opposite sex unmarried partners on their health insurance. You CAN get married. The gay/lesbian employees can't.

If you want to waste your time you can argue with HR. It won't do you any good.

TxMsLady

With all due respect, I disagree with the statement that there is no company that will allow coverage for a member of the opposite unless you are married. I've had medical insurance that covered my exhusband until he found employment w/benefits (I'm a nice person). I was a Federal employee during that time. My husband's insurance now will even allow him to put his spouse, "domestic partner", and/or children on his insurance. I guess it's just a matter of what insurance company it is. I would call the insurance company and clarify that you are understanding their policy correctly. If so, and your girlfriend cannot be covered, I'd suggest she look into what programs might be available to her (Medicaid thru DHS), or, if she's working and makes too much to be eligible for medicaid, I would at least look into a Hospitalization policy. They're relatively cheap and will prevent her from being wiped out financially should she need hospitalization. Best wishes to you.

Beth3

Actually, it's more a question of the employer's own policy. If they want the insurance carrier to cover opposite-sex domestic partners, they probably can make that happen. However, a live-in boyfriend or girlfriend does not meet the definition of a legal dependent and therefore the employer can exclude them from coverage.

Some employers have opted to include life partners of gay/lesbian employees because as cbg explained, they do not presently have the option of legalizing their union as heterosexual couples do.

ryan, you can argue this all you want however the bottom line is that you have a choice. You and your girlfriend can marry or not marry. It's entirely up to the two of you. If you elect not to marry, then you cannot demand the benefits that would otherwise be immediately available to you.

TxMsLady

I do agree with you Beth3. I guess the point I was making is that there are companies who would add a girl/boyfriend to a policy. I even had a cowoker include her babysitter! I agree, also, that this person cannot argue with the companies policy. I by no means was suggesting that, but rather to call HR to clarify that they understood the policy correctly.

And, just my 2 cents, why not marry the lady? Some awfully major commitments have already been made on mortgage loan and bank accounts...might as well marry if you're having and wanting the benefits of a marriage union. (ins.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Txmslady, there may be the occasional company that allows it but it is very much the exception and not the rule.

TxMsLady

I'm sure you are correct, cbg, that it is more of an exception than the rule. I didn't mean to offend.....thus the reason I began "With all due respect". I was replying to ryan_w_frank's original question....should he pursue checking into the HR or insurance co. You left the impression, or to me, that it was of no use... (stated "I don't know of a single company"). I knew otherwise and simply was giving the poster the hope that he might be misunderstanding the policy and to call to check into it further. There's no harm in that. I would want someone to do the same for me. No hard feelings here :0) and hoping you have a good day.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No offense taken, but if the company was seriously inclined to allow it, they would have included the possibility in the plan document. If it's not in the plan document, they can't do it. They could have included it when they negotiated the plan document with the carrier but they didn't. Since they could have included it and didn't, the obvious answer is that they, along with the very large majority of other companies, don't want to.

TxMsLady

Can you say that five times while patting your head, rubbing your belly and standing on one foot? Sorry...couldn't resist. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">