• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health insurance for daughter dropped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LaurieB

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My 21 year old daughter is a full time college student and has been on my BC/BS insurance. She became pregnant last year and about 5 months into the pregnancy began having severe abdominal pain. She was rushed to the hospital and it was discovered she had fibroid cysts. Her doctors insisted that she take medical leave of absence from school because the cysts could rupture. She took medical leave in late October.

In December she registered for Spring semester classes even though the baby was due in February. She did this to keep her full time status in effect. She withdrew from classes again under medical leave.

In April, we received a hospital bill for $4000 because the medical insurance refused the claim saying she wasn't a full time student in 2003. Now they are also refusing to pay the doctor bill even though most of the treatment was during 2002. I am going to request that the doctor pro-rate the bill and re-submit it.

Can they revoke coverage when student status changes due to a health issue?

Thanks - Laurie

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. The rule is that she has to be a full time student to be covered. If she is not a full time student, there is no coverage. It doesn't matter that it was for a health reason; she did not meet the requirements for coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">