• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjlbiz

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I was terminated by my last employer on 01/09/08. I was a full time employee and had health insurance benefits with them. I was not notified that my health insurance was terminated also as of the 01/09 date. A few days later I became ill, went to see my doctor. When I went to pick up the medication my doctor prescribed, the pharmacist notified me that I did not have insurance. I thought the health insurance continued through the end of the month, so now I am stuck with a large doctors bill. Are employers required to give you notification in writing, that your health insurance is cancelled? I did not recieve anything from my employer until three weeks later. Is there any recourse I can take on this issue?

thank you

ecmst12

You will receive information about Cobra in the mail. Enroll in Cobra and it will cover back to the date your coverage terminated, including that doctor visit.

tranquility

Not at the time. If they are large enough, COBRA takes effect. Then you need to pay the money and you will be compensated by the COBRA insurance later.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether or not health insurance ends on the last day of employment or continues through the month depends on the health insurance policy. Both are legal, both are common. There is only one state where the law requires that insurance continue to the end of the month and that state is not Missouri.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">