• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health insurance kickback for deferral

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rpl9524

State: Michigan. Company: C-Corp. w/ roughly 60 employees.

I have learned that quite a few employees are receiving a kickback for deferring medical coverage from our company. This kickback is roughly $1,300/yr. I have deferred since I was hired because their plan is horrible and I have been able to get better coverage for the same amount that I would have had to contribute anyways. Is it legal for them to give certain employees the but not all that defer? If I am entitled to the kickback, should it be retroactive from when I was first eligible for their plan?

Thanks in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not exactly a "kickback". It's a benefit.

Contrary to what many people appear to believe, nothing in the law requires employers to provide benefits on an all-or-nothing basis. There is nothing in the law that says what you do for one, you must do for all.

It is quite legal to have a policy that allows a benefit to some employees and not other as long as the basis for who does and does not get the benefit is not based on a protected characteristic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">