• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Payback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

introstac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,
My employer recently informed me that by a mistake in payroll I've been recieving free benefits. He didn't tell me the exact amount. The next paycheck, he takes out double what the benefits would be per month. ($245) Now this would be fine, but this is my first check where they did this. If they do it on the next check, they would be taking out four times what the benefis would be per month. ($245x2)

Now , I work part time, this effectively half's my pay, making it unable for me to pay rent or feed myself since this job requires a significant amount of gas. I basically want to know, can I limit how much they take out of my check as compensation for the above mistake?

And what should I ask for to make sure that they dont just keep taking more and more money out forever?

I'm more than willing to pay back double per month, but four times is excessive and nothing on the payroll check would signify how much I owe and how much I am paying. If I quit, can they withhold money from my next job??

Please help, I feel like I may start getting the runaround and who do I call for this overexcessive withholding of wages.

ecmst12

Why do you think he would take out twice as much as he did already? Did he say it would be an ever-increasing deduction? Cause that wouldn't make any sense at all. Why don't you just TALK to your boss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">