• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health insurance premium increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Charlie B

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

I am an hourly employee at a company in North Dakota that is based out of Utah. I recently signed up for the annual renewal of my heath insurance. The booklet that I received said my premiums would increase at the beginning of next year, however they increased my premiums on the 1st of November. I was not given any sort of notice of this early increase, not a memo, letter, email, nothing. I didn't know about it until I received my first paycheck in november and my med. deductions were about $20 higher than before. I accept that they are raising the premiums on the first of the year, not happy about it but accept it, but this was totally out of left field with no warning. Can they do that? If not, what recourse to do I have?:confused:

CraigFL

It could be one of two things...

1. Quite often the 'insurance year" doesn't run concurrent with the calendar year with employers

2. You are paying in advance for your insurance coverage which may mean that the total of your November check deductions may be used to pay your Dec or even Jan payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">