• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance premiums for my dependent children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


cori payne

What is the name of your state? Utah

I have three dependent children living with me and two older children who are on there own. My ex-husband has been providing health insurance coverage for my dependent children. I Pay one-half of the monthly premium for health insurance coverage on the children living with me. He recently changed jobs and is not eligible for health insurance benefits for 120 days. However, his prior employer has given him the option of Cobra benefits. He told me that the cost to would be $1000 per month and he wants me to split it with him. I told him I would pay for my own children. (He has ten individuals on the insurance plan)
When I calculate it, I assumed the payment would be $300 per month based on the three children I am caring for. He says I need to split the entire $1000 with him as it is "family support" and is not divided out individually. I do not want to pay for insurance for his current wife and her children. He says if I don't he will take it out of my child support. Can he do that?
I am bound by our divorce decree to pay 1/2 the amount of monthly insurance on my children. Who is calculating this correctly?
Last edited:



You were paying half of the premium before right? Cobra is not cheap, but at least they'll be covered until he gets the new insurance. Sounds like you're bound to the decree, unless you'd like to change them to your insurance during this period or take it back through the courts to try and modify.

cori payne

health insurance coverage

I am willing to pay for 1/2 of the insurance that is available to my children. Previously it was $45 bi-monthly. That's a huge jump to what he is asking now. Can it be divided based on the number of people on the policy? If I can't pay, can he legally take it out of my child support? I am on a very limited income as I have lost my job due to an accident. I am uninsured and cannot be under my own husband's policy. Neither can the children. Financially, this will break me.

cori payne

Also, I am on State Assisted health benefits. If I choose to have my children on the program until his regular benefits kick in, can he still withold child support?


Senior Member
I believe that IF the court order is that HE provide health insurance and you pay half, then he is REQUIRED to provide them whatever health insurance he can buy, and you pay half. UNless you have that modified. I don't believe, from what you stated that you get to choose to apply a percentage value to the number of people in your household who are covered. Likely the premium for ONLY your kids, even if he had nobody else covered, would be the same as what he is telling you. In other words, adding members of his household to the court-ordered covereage likely does not change the premium.

His prior insurance sounded dirt cheap. I only have one child and pay a lot more than what you were paying.


However, his prior employer has given him the option of Cobra benefits. He told me that the cost to would be $1000 per month and he wants me to split it with him.

I am not an attorney, but after working 6 yrs in HR, COBRA breaks the premiums down, usually by self, self + spouse, self + child or self + family. I'm sure if you were to contact the company that your childrens insurance is with (it will not change with COBRA) ask them to give you the break down of premiums. The only difference with COBRA is that the employee becomes responsible for the premium 100% and sometimes the employer will charge a low fee for the administation of the insurance. So unless the company was contributing a large part of the premium as part of his benefits, then the premium shouldn't increase all that much.
I'm sure you will also have to take into consideration the way the order is worded.
Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential