• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Premiums while out on work related injury?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teresita484

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I injured myself on the job, which subsequently put me out of work for 4 months. Now that I am able to go back to work, my employer has informed me that because I was out (on the work related injury for which I was receiving work comp benefits), that I will need to pay out of pocket for the health insurance premiums they paid for my family. In the past my boss has always paid for the entire cost of the premiums, with us being responsible for the deductible portion. That was the arrangement. They have already paid the premiums for the months in question, but are now coming back after the fact and saying that I will need to retroactively pay for the premiums, because I was not actively working for them. I was not actively working because I suffered an injury that occurred while working for them. After the fact can they come back and say I am responsible for these premiums, without my ever agreeing to pay for them in the first place?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

pattytx

Are you saying that, while actively employed, you did not pay anything toward health insurance coverage?

Was your leave (at least the first 12 weeks of it) FMLA?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I have not researched MN specifically, I am not aware of ANY state where the employee is exempt from paying his portion of health insurance premiums while on medical leave, regardless of whether it is work related or not. There is no requirement that you "agree" to pay the premiums - you are responsible for them whether you agree to them or not.

The above assumes that no legally binding contract or CBA expressly says otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">