• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

christos99

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Here is the situation. My fiance is recovering from a brain tumor which was diagnosed in late Feb 2003 after experiencing a seizure. She had surgery to remove the tumor, followed by 6 weeks of radation and chemotherapy. She continues a regiment of chemotherapy 5 days a month. The doctors recommended at least a year of chemotherapy after the radiation - her 12th cycle will be in June of this year.

She is 22 years old, and a full time student, covered under her mother's group family insurance plan through her employer. The plan did not cover 100% of the expenses and her medications so she applied for and now receives Medicaid benefits, which pay for whatever additional expenses aren't covered under her health insurance. Also, she applied for Social Security long term disability and was approved and now receives around $670/month in disability benefits.

All of her MRI scans since the surgery have been clear and aside from some hair loss from the radiation, she has not had any neurological deficits, additional seizures, or any other medical problems as a result of the surgery or tumor. As far as we can tell she is completely healthy, with only minor problems with side effects on the days when she is taking her chemotherapy drugs (Thank God).

She will turn 23 in December, and thus not qualify for coverage anymore on her mother's group insurance policy. I contacted her insurer, Blue Cross Blue Sheild of Illinois and they said that she can, without any considerations of pre-existing conditions, convert her plan to an individual plan. I use them for an individual plan, being self-employed, and the plan I have would give her excellent coverage above beyond her current group plan.

Now for the question part (sorry for the long post, but I feel it's relevant.) We are planning on getting married in June 2005. When we get married, she will no longer qualify for Medicaid or the Social Security disability benefit. Even though her MRIs are clear, it might be a good idea for her to continue the chemotherapy longer as a safeguard since the type of tumor she was diagnosed with has a tendancy to grow back.

Essentially, it is imperative that I know for certain that once we get married all health problems related to this tumor (or anything else for that matter) will be covered. I am self-employed and own two businesses and if we get hit with huge medical expenses that we can't handle, it would not only hurt us, but also the people I am in business with. She will certainly need periodic MRIs and consultations with her neurologist to make sure there is no regrowth of the tumor. And of course, god forbid, the tumor grows back, she will need care that will be expensive.

My bottom line question is:
Once we get her on a good individual plan, is there anything else I need to worry about to protect us financially? Or am I just being too paranoid? Once she is covered, and we pay her premiums on time, is there any reason she could lose coverage?

I probably am paranoid, but regardless of how highly rated and respected an insurance company is, it's difficult to put the health of our financial future into one company. I just want to know how protected I will be, and if I am doing everything right here. I have considered postponing the wedding, or even having a church ceremony without a marriage license so she doesn't lose her Medicare, but I think I may be overreacting. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Beth3

I think you should re-contact BC/BS and find out if they're talking about CONVERTING her coverage to a private plan, or whether they're talking about CONTINUING her coverage through her mother's plan.

Under federal law (the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconcilliation Act - i.e. COBRA), a dependent reaching the age limit for coverage under their parent's group health plan is eligible to continue the insurance (in this case, a single plan) for up to 36 months by paying the full monthly premium. This is not a private plan though - it is a continuation of the employer's health plan they offer to employees. This all assumes that your fiance's mother's employer has at least 20 employees and is subject to COBRA.

There is a considerable difference between COBRA continuation and converting to a private plan so you'll want to be certain you and BC/BS are on the same wave length.

Since the rules that apply to group plans and the private insurance market vary considerably, my suggestion to you is that you get all the appropriate brochures and info from BC/BS or your future mother-in-law's employer and then see your insurance agent. You'll want to be absolutely certain of the particulars for each plan and whether the fine print indicates coverage can be denied or cancelled down the road in the event of significant claims. Generally it cannot (although the premiums could go sky-high) but you'll want input from an expert after reviewing all the plan information.

Good luck and I hope your fiance continues in good health.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">