• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spaz66

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I work for a financial institution that merged as equals with another financial institution in July 2008. At that time, each organization had their own health insurance plans - it is still that way. Employees are segregated by the organization they worked for prior to the merger. We have been told by HR that we can't change plans.

Now we are at a new enrollment period and the plans have been modified - so that the cost would not increase for the employees. Under the new plan changes, since my insurance plan doesn’t have an in-network Ocularist, I will have to pay 100% for a new prosthetic eye (cost is around $3,000) – while under the other employer plan, it would be covered 100% up to $5,000 (they have an in-network Ocularist).

While I don’t know of any other employee who have this very specific issue, if there was an employee with the other coverage, I don’t believe it would be fair that I would have to pay 100% for a service that would be covered 100% for a fellow employee.

I contacted HR to see if I could switch to the other plan, and I was told no - that the plans would not be combined until October 2010. Each employee needs to remain in their existing plan. They said they had an agreement with both insurance companies that states that, but they won't produce it.

I feel I am being discriminated against because of the institution I worked for prior to the merger. Do I have any legal recourse.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not even close. This isn't even in the same ball park with illegal discrimination.

Having been involved with merging two different health care plans on more than one occasion, I can tell you that it is a very complex and very time consuming process. On both the occasions I dealt with this, it took over two years for all employees to be on the same plan. There is nothing even remotely illegal or discriminatory about having two different legacy companies remain on their original plans, even if one has better coverage than the other.

"Fair" is where we go to look at pigs and ride the ferris wheel.

ecmst12

You're not even being discriminated against, you're being treated exactly the same as every other employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">