• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance took back payments 2 months after appointments, now owe $2000 OOP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacques001

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have received bills for appointments that happened in May asking me to pay the full cost around almost $2,000. I was insured under a family health insurance plan under my father's company (he is an employee there) and the insurance had no problems paying the medical bills until May 2018.

It turns out my father's company was going underwater and did not pay their health insurance group premium for May 2018. I wasn't alerted to this by the health insurance company, as they at first paid all my May appointments. Because the group premium wasn't paid by the company, the health insurance company took back all the payments they made in May around August 2018. The hospital wants their money, so they've billed me for everything out of pocket at almost $2,000. My father told me his health insurance plan was still deducted from his paycheck for May 2018 (though he no longer works at that company).

Is there anything I can do to avoid paying the full $2,000? I am not sure I did anything wrong, considering there would have been know way I would have known my health insurance wasn't eligible for May, as how could I know if my father's company didn't pay the group premium? I also received a letter from the insurance company stating I was fully covered for May, could this document be useful in any legal matters? I received the document because I turned 26 that month but still had full coverage through the end of the month (unrelated to this issue). I have a new insurance company since June 2018.

Would I need to sue my father's company to recover the full amount? Please advise.

quincy

If your father's company failed to pay the insurance group policy premium, despite your father having payment deducted from his paycheck, it will be the company who is responsible rather than the insurance company (depending on what period of time the insurance payments cover).

Ultimately you are responsible for any medical bills not covered by insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">