• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance--who is responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bkanimal

What is the name of your state? Iowa

My parents have been divorced since I was 9 months old. I am now 19, and under the divorce decree my father is responsible for child support and insurance coverage until I graduate college or get married, which ever comes first. For the past 4 years, ironically since my father has been remarried, he has been sending medical bills for uncovered charges back to my mom, claiming that he is not responsible for them. Now that I am on my own, my father is having the medical bills sent back to me to pay for, which for a college student, is impossible. If my father is required under the divorce decree to provide health insurance for my sister an I, then isn't he responsible for the deductible and uncovered charges as well?? If he is, which I think he is, then how do I go about legally making him do so so I stop getting bills that are not mine and my mom stops getting bills that are not his?

Beth

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you still in college?

What is his basis for his saying that he is no longer responsible?

Need more info.

B

bkanimal

He has no basis for not taking responsibility. He is trying to say he's never been responsible. He keeps returning the bills that are being sent to him back to the health care providers telling them that I am responsible for payment. The divorce clearly states otherwise. What other information do you need?

B

bkanimal

Yes I am still in college, and will be for at least 3 more years.

ShyCat

In your first post, you said that in the divorce decree your father was responsible for child support and insurance coverage. You did not say that he was ordered to pay all medical expenses not covered by that insurance. Unless he was so ordered, I would interpret it the same way your father has.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is that what he's saying? Not that he isn't responsible for covering you on his insurance, but that he isn't responsible for paying the uncovered charges? (I read it differently the first time round.)

Who does the divorce decree say will pay deductibles and uncovered charges?

B

bkanimal

The decree does not specify who pays for uncovered charges. However, wouldn't it make sense that he would if he is my insurance holder? Both he and his new wife are also under the same insurance, so he should pay the deductible as well, shouldn't he?
:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the decree does not specify who pays the uncovered charges, then it becomes not a matter of law, but a matter between the three of you - your mother, your father, and you yourself - to figure out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">