• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

free1

I forgot in 1st post I am in MN

I have a question regarding a contributory health insurance plan which is offered through my parent company. I recently became aware that some employees get a much larger contribution then others in the same policy.

That is to say that employees who work for one division have a certain percentage paid while employees at a seperate division get a lesser percentage paid. I could be completly wrong but I was under the imperssion that if everyone was paying into the same plan then everyone is to have the same amount contributed by the employer period.

The fact that employees in my division pay a larger percentage themselves is compounded by the fact that the average age in my division is relativly low compared to the whole group which would make our premium much lower if we were on a seperate plan instead of esentually paying part of the premium of other employees.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not illegal for an employer to have different contributory rates for different employees as long as there is a consistant, non-discriminatory divisor. It is legal for them to use divisions as a divisor. They can also use full or part time status, management or non-management positions, exempt or non-exempt, etc.

Once the decision is made as to which groups are in which classification, everyone within each classification must receive the same rates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">