• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fatibg

What is the name of your state? Alabama
My kids were born premature and had to stay in the hospital for 3 months during the end of '99 and begining of '00. We had good insurance but we ended up paying more than $12,000,well over our deductible of $10,000. The problem is we still have to pay $2,000 to one of the neonatologists and our insurance said there is nothing they can do about it. they paid their standard rates and the doc's office says the rest of the money is our responsibility. My question is, if we decide not to pay ,can they take the matter to a collection agency and if so, will we be liable ?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

fatibg said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama
My kids were born premature and had to stay in the hospital for 3 months during the end of '99 and begining of '00. We had good insurance but we ended up paying more than $12,000,well over our deductible of $10,000. The problem is we still have to pay $2,000 to one of the neonatologists and our insurance said there is nothing they can do about it. they paid their standard rates and the doc's office says the rest of the money is our responsibility. My question is, if we decide not to pay ,can they take the matter to a collection agency and if so, will we be liable ?

My response:

Answering you under the assumption that everything has been paid according to your insurance policy, then you're already liable.

So, yes. The doctor's office can refer your unpaid debt to a collection agency and, if you continue to fail to pay, the doctor's office can either (1) sue you directly, or (2) sell the debt to someone else and then they can sue you.

Interest, attorney's fees and costs of collection can also be added to the principle amount of the debt if your debt is referred to a collection agency, or thereafter if you're sued. This means that your debt could "balloon up" to an amount that will astound you.

Try to make arrangements, or better arrangements, with the doctor's office to pay your debt. You'll be better off in the long run.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">