• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gary A Spence

I live in the State of New Mexico. I worked for a company from another state in sales traveling several states. I worked for this company for over 17 years.
Christmas day 1997 I had a heart attack, after recovering between Christmas and New Years. I started back to work in January 1998. After working spring, summer and fall of 1998 I returned from a business trip flying back to New Mexico from working with an account in Texas. I stepped off the plane and was almost completely unable to breathe. I finally got home, and early in the morning my wife took me to the emergancy room unable to breath. That was the first of several trips to the emergancy room. I was then diagnosed with asthma, emphysema, complete COPD, which is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. I later found out I had less than 30% lung capacity. I have been totally disabled since, of course my company released me. My problem now is insurance, my company did provide me with Health Insurance until May 2000. Then I was offered the same insurance with me paying the premium of 612.37. This was high but with my health record it was a must. I have been paying the 612.37 every since one month in advance.
Last friday on November 24 I received a letter informing my insurance has been terminated. Thay also enclosed my Dec. payment. I now have no insurance and am a high risk applicant.
My questions are don"t I have any rights from being, pardon the language "screwed" by my former employer.

ALawyer

Absent the ability to take early retirement, or go out on permanent long term disability (which some companies provide), your ability to keep your employee coverages was VERY limited -- fortunately Congress, in COBRA, extended it to 18 months to 3 years, depending on circumstances, 10 or so years ago.

Now I do NOT know why your insurance was terminated and URGE you to contact the carrier, the NM Department of Insurance, and your ex-employer. Also, if you are covered by SSD you should be able to get Medicare.

G

Gary A Spence

Dear ALawyer-Senior Member; Thank you very much for answering.
Couple more points I would appreciate your answer.
I am presently on long term disability, which may or may not continue after the 2 year time next May.2001. Again I am receiving social security and my 2 year time limit for Medicare is also next May. My concern is being covered until next May.
The reason the Insurance company gave for cancelation was the last date of 18 months COBRA coverage. Eventhough I was paying the premium. Are they in their rights to cancel me?
Again I do appreciate your assistance.
Sincerly Gary A Spence

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">