• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gio

I live in Maryland and work for a private company, I am also retired from a police department. I currently have health insurance with my present job and I would like to drop it now because my it is open season at my former department and they offer a better health insurance however, my current jobs open season isn't untill March. I requested a form at my current job to drop my insurance with them and they refuse to do it because it wasn't their open season, "said it was company policy". My current insurance company told me it was no problem with them and that I should have the right to drop it at any time. It is not like I want to change it. If I don't drop the current one I'll be paying two premiums for four months. Do I have a leagle right to drop my insurance?

ALawyer

This is a matter of employment law -- but I know that if you make a real fuss the employer's small minded HR person could be ticked off. Pleaed with her and ask her to ask senior management.

G

g_dawg

Many times, a company will allow changes to be made in one's insurance coverage when there's a "significant change" - such as a dependant becoming of an age or student status effecting eligibility for coverage. One would think having other coverage would pose a "significant change" but it sounds as though the company you work for would rather inconvenience you than themselves. Check to see if your policy offers a "customer advocate" or contact your member services and ask for a supervisor (make sure you get a real supervisor - handing the call over to a collegue pretending to be a supervisor is not unheard of). Also, the department of insurance may frown on this gestapo approach to retaining customers. Hope this is of some assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">