• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

123ja

What is the name of your state? NH
Can an employer deny any employee health insurance when other employess are receiving health insurance with the premium being paid by the employer?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends, and you have not given us enough information to say for certain.

Despite a persistant and widespread belief, the law does NOT say that if one employee gets a benefit, all employees have to get it. It IS legal for an employer to set up "classes" of employees, with only some of those classes being eligible for benefits.

It IS legal for an employer to offer insurance to full time employees but not part time, to corporate employees but not employees in the field offices, to managment and above but not below, to office but not shop, to employees in certain departments only, or any other grouping that does not violate Title VII and related laws (race, religion, gender etc.).

Having established which are eligible classes, however, all employees in the eligible class must be offered insurance.

So you would have to tell us why the employee is being denied benefits before we could say if it is legal or not.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I was answering at the same time you were responding to the first question.

It IS legal for benefits to be offered only to salespeople but not to office workers, or to office workers but not to salespeople.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">