• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Healthcare for domestic partner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Richard X

What is the name of your state? California

My aged father's live-in girlfriend of 3 years is now in failing health. He believes that her family contrived to have her live with him 7x24 so that he would be responsible for her healthcare even though he is planning to move to an assisted care facility without her.

LdiJ

Is the domestic partnership registered with the state?
Just to clarify, in case you are not familar with domestic partnerships...Are they officially a domestic partnership registered with the state or do they just live together?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. He is not responsible for her health care. She is an adult; no one is responsible for her health care except she herself unless he signed something that says he is, and even that would be limited to the specific care at the time he signed.

A domestic partner MAY take on health care responsibilities for each other, but the law does not say they MUST.

quincy

Just to clarify, in case you are not familar with domestic partnerships...Are they officially a domestic partnership registered with the state or do they just live together?
Richard X mentioned “domestic partner” in his thread title but it is definitely possible he was just referring to his dad and dad’s girlfriend cohabitation.

quincy

However, the answer is the same either way.
With a registered domestic partnership, the dad could have added his girlfriend to his health insurance. If they are just cohabitating, this would not be possible.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I agree; he could have. I work with registered and unregistered domestic partners every working day of my life. But the question was not, can he add her to the insurance - it was, Does he AUTOMATICALLY become responsible for her health care simply by virtue of their cohabitating. And the answer to that is, No. Regardless of whether they're registered or not.

Richard X

Thank you all. My father has not signed any agreement, nor have they filed any paperwork with the State to register as domestic partners.

quincy

It appears that your dad’s ailing girlfriend will need to find someone else to take care of her health care needs then, when your dad moves to an assisted living facility.

Good luck. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">