• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Healthcare worker certificates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Tx

I am an occupational therapist working towards my OT licensure for practice in TX. I am currenlty on dependent visa (H4). I was wondering if I would require an H1-B visa to work as a licensed OT. I have heard something about Visa Credential Verification Certificates. Could somebody please tell me if I should be applying for it? Am I allowed to work using one of these certificates. Could you also give me some more information about lenght, procedure etc. Is there any website I can refer for more information.
Thanks in advance.


Junior Member
Even if you graduate from a US school, if you are going to apply for an employment visa (H-1B) you will need certification. Go to the Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools website at www.cgfns.org They do the screening not only for nursing but also OT. You will have to obtain a screening certificate from them. The procedure is well outlined on their website.


Junior Member
Oh!! I thought I should be refering to www.nbcot.org . I could not find anything about Occupational Therapist on www.cgfns.org .

Anyways my question was about Visa Credential Verification Certificate. Is it a substitute for H1-B visa. I am working towards my licensure. Only thing I was concerned about is that if I need to find an employer before April 1st (when the H1 quota opens) so that he can apply for my visa before they get over. If Visa Credential Verification Certificate allows me to work (after I get my licensure), I need not worry about job search at this moment and consentrate towards my licensure. I also dont wont to be in a situation that I have a licensure and I cannot work as the H1-visas are over for the year and I cannot work using the "Visa Credential Verification Certificate".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential