• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

heard that a debt be removed from credit report if sold to collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? FL

My husband and I separated a year and a half ago and recently decided to work things out. While we were separated he maxed out and stopped paying on a credit card that I was on and he also opened a handful of new credit card accounts that he stopped paying a while ago. The one we shared is now on my credit report. Now all but 1 of them have gone to collections. We haven’t gotten a copy of his credit report yet, but I’m sure that it’s not pretty.

We want to fix the mess he made in a timely and cost effective manner. I’m hesitant about trying to settle with collectors because of how “delightful and easy to work with” they can be, so I’m trying to see what options we have. While listening to a talk radio show, a caller that claimed to work for a collection agency said that if a debt has been sold to a collector, you can have the debt taken off of your credit report by somehow proving that the debt was settled with the original creditor. Is this true? And if so, how would I do that? :confused:

Also, and other advise is welcomed and greatly appreciated. :D

Debt Guy

Senior Member
Credit reports should accurately reflect what happened.

If something on your credit report is in error, then you can dispute the error and have it corrected or removed.

If something on your credit report is bad but it is not in error, you don't technically have a basis for dispute. You would need to lie in order to make the dispute.

If your account has been sold to a collection agency, and you can prove that you settled the account with the original creditor, then yes, you can dispute the collection agency. Clearly that falls into the error category described above.

However, if you did not settle with the original creditor, what would be the basis for the dispute?

Hope this is not confusing. Email me directly if you want to get into the details. [email protected].

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential