• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hearsay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rothie

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Person A commits a crime and tells person B.

Person B tells Person C both in writing and orally that Person A has committed a crime. Can Person A
testify as a witness against Person A?

Jeter

I'm assuming that your question is can person C testify as a witness against person A. The answer is yes and no.

The definition of a witness is simply someone who testifies at a court hearing. As a witness in this scenario, person C may be asked to describe the character of person A or person B, or share personal experiences. C may NOT, however, pose as an EYE witness to the crime or state that he was present when the event(s) in question occured. He would be committing perjury. If C tried to state facts based upon what he was told or what someone wrote, his statement would be met with a hearsay objection.

Jeter

R

rothie

thank you! Yes, I meant to say can C testify against A.

Jeter said:
I'm assuming that your question is can person C testify as a witness against person A. The answer is yes and no.

The definition of a witness is simply someone who testifies at a court hearing. As a witness in this scenario, person C may be asked to describe the character of person A or person B, or share personal experiences. C may NOT, however, pose as an EYE witness to the crime or state that he was present when the event(s) in question occured. He would be committing perjury. If C tried to state facts based upon what he was told or what someone wrote, his statement would be met with a hearsay objection.

Jeter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">